Welcome To A Teacher In Your Corner

Before I began teaching,I spent my evenings tutoring my son who had a learning disability. I had no teaching material and so learned to use things out of my kitchen to teach the concept. When I began teaching,I continued to use household items to illustrate the lesson. This site will give you ideas on how to use everyday items to help your child master a difficult concept.

Whether you are home-schooling or just helping your child complete homework, this site will be helpful.

Reading Fluency


View detailsThe world we live in today is getting smaller and smaller.  We are becoming a blend of many cultures.  While that is great, it can be difficult when trying to pronounce names in reading.  As teachers we need to remember that comprehending the information is more important than pronouncing a foreign name.  Now I'm not advocating that we ignore the name.  I'm saying that if the pronunciation is an issue with the student, adjustments should be made. 
 
I have had interactions with people from all over the world and hearing them mutilate my name has never bothered me.  I understand that in their language they have different sounds than English.  Therefore my name doesn't always come off as Theresa.  I've been called Potresa, Tressa, and Tedessa, just to mention a few.  The important part wasn't the pronunciation, but rather the interaction we shared. 
 
The bottom line is--don't get so hung up on pronunciation of names or words that it impedes reading fluency.

No comments:

Post a Comment