Welcome To A Teacher In Your Corner

Before I began teaching,I spent my evenings tutoring my son who had a learning disability. I had no teaching material and so learned to use things out of my kitchen to teach the concept. When I began teaching,I continued to use household items to illustrate the lesson. This site will give you ideas on how to use everyday items to help your child master a difficult concept.

Whether you are home-schooling or just helping your child complete homework, this site will be helpful.

Teaching Prepositions

View detailsRabbit coming out of a magicians top hatPrepositions are difficult to teach because you can't show them.  A student can't see them. The definition of the word Preposition doesn't fit all the prepositions.  Prepositions are the smallest words in the English language, yet they are very important.  Here are a few hints to help you teach them.
 
The word itself is a help.  Let's look at it.  Preposition.  Pre-position.  A preposition tells the position of one object to another. 

Teaching prepositions through activity:  Place a box, chair or stool in the middle of the room.  Then instruct the student to go: under, over, through, around, in, and out of the box, chair, or stool.

Visual model: Draw a simple house on the board.  Then write the positions in appropriate places of the house.  (Use arrows for words like in and through.)

No comments:

Post a Comment